Gesso – All About Gesso
If you’ve ever looked at Gesso in an art shop and wondered what it is or if you’ve never discovered gesso, then you are missing out on a wonderful, versatile product.
- Gesso is essential for any artist’s toolbox.
- Gesso is a great primer for your canvas, sketch book or ATC etc.
- Gesso strengthens paper
- Gesso can be used like glue.
- Gesso provides a smooth surface.
- Use gesso to paint blocks as a background to art journal pages or ATCs.
- Gesso prevents wrinkling.
- Gesso absorbs paint and glue.
- Gesso is great to add texture
- Use gesso to white colour or black colour a page.
- A dark priming brings the elements of your painting together and also saves time when painting.
- Mix acrylic with clear gesso base to make your own coloured gesso.
- Use clear gesso to dull the gloss on pictures cut out from magazines and used in collages / scrapbooking / art journals.
Do you use gesso? Share how you use gesso. Do you have a favourite brand?